Watertown, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2023
Parallel Squared Technology Institute (PTI) is a non-profit research institute aiming to catalyze a leap in protein analysis technology and use it to explore new biological frontiers. PTI supports open research and educational opportunities supporting rapid career development for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.Why? Protein dysfunctions directly cause many diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Yet, proteins remain understudied because of technological hurdles.How? To resolve these limitations, PTI will develop mass tags enabling a new framework for multiplexed protein analysis by mass spectrometry towards achieving 100-fold increase in throughput. Scientists at and collaborating with the institute will use these gains to directly investigate disease mechanisms and resolve problems that have proven intractable for decades. Our proof of principle technology and strategies are outlined at: parallelsq.org.PTI’s new approach requires synergy between a diverse team of chemists, machine learning engineers, biologists and mass spectrometrists. Alzheimer’s disease and aging will be among the first focuses of this technology-driven research organization.New career opportunitiesMembers of PTI will be supported with industry-level resources to lead research projects and disseminate their discoveries and innovations to the broader biomedical community through frequent publications, presentations, and submissions to public data portals. Responsibilities
- You will setup, operate, and maintain mass spectrometers from multiple major vendors
- Inventory management for reagents and samples
- Protein sample preparation
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results to for internal and public presentation
- Preparation of lab reagents and media
- Communication with purchasing and may be responsible for negotiating with various vendors
- Obtain and manage MTAs, software licenses, service contracts, and other documentation
- Masters or PhD in biology, biochemistry, or chemistry
- 5+ years of experience maintaning mass spectrometers, mass spectrometry technological development (hardware or software) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience optimizing LC-MS/MS methods for bottom-up proteomics
- Demonstrated mastery of molecular & cellular biology techniques or chemistry techniques.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm & interest in biology and/or analytical chemistry
- High level of initiative and flexibility, excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Attention to detail
- Good time management
- Proficiency with statistical and computational methods.
- Proficiency with cell culture and sterile technique.
- You are passionate about science and technology and are eager to work in a team environment.
- You love learning new techniques, new technologies, and new concepts.
- You want an environment that will support your future plans as a scientist or engineer.
- You are committed to open science ideas and want to see your work disseminated broadly
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields
- Tuition reimbursement
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave
- Generous time off + paid holidays
- Wellness allowance for fitness and wellness activities