Senior/Staff Back End Engineer
Today, the process of building web3 applications is fragmented, difficult and insecure. Our toolkit of security-focused dev tools is out to change this story. Cubist’s enterprise focus is a non-custodial key management platform designed to help web3 infrastructure engineering teams secure and programmatically manage their secret keys. Earlier this year, we released the industry’s first SDK for seamless cross-chain and multi-chain development.
Cubist’s founding team includes skilled operators who are former founders and early startup employees, as well as respected academics who have collectively published over 80 papers in the areas of computer systems, security, and cryptography. We are well funded, having closed a $7M seed round in July 2022 led by Polychain, and we’re excited to grow our core team as we build momentum for growth.
About the Role
As an early member of the Engineering Team, you will work directly with the founders and founding engineers on highly technical products for highly technical users. You’ll be responsible for building and maintaining the Rust back end code that powers our secure key management system, and you’ll have input into high-level technical decisions. You will fit in well if you value testing, code clarity, simple design, and code review. In addition, there will be opportunities to work with marketing on blog posts and other technical content.
To succeed at Cubist, you should be someone who is passionate about building production systems and excited to work in a fast-paced startup environment where speed and experimentation are critical. We anticipate that most qualified candidates will have 5 or more years of professional engineering experience.
- Developing large-scale systems, preferably in Rust (or other strongly-typed languages)
- Architecting secure systems
- Scaling production systems
- Building on hardware security modules and/or secure enclaves
- Expertise in a subfield (e.g., crypto engineering, scalable database systems like Dynamo, deploying WebAssembly in production)
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Write and review code, documentation, and technical specifications for core parts of the Cubist key management platform
- Depending on your expertise, extend the core crypto infrastructure with new signature schemes or protocols; extend and optimize the database layer, ORM-like interface, and access control and policy layer; contribute and extend the Wasm-based runtime system; etc.
- Collaborate with other engineers to build and test core libraries and tooling; contribute to the Cubist secure web server design and implementation; and, deploy services that monitor, analyze, and otherwise contribute to improving the reliability, performance, and security of the key management platform.
Compensation & Perks
- Competitive salary, company 401(k) and pre-Series A stock options
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits
- Home office stipend
- Company retreats
As an early Back End Engineer, you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the technical direction of the product as part of a team of exceptionally high-caliber engineers. Our team is curious, energetic, collaborative, ambitious—and fully remote. We are going after a big problem with a transformative solution, and want to work alongside others who are similarly bold and motivated. If this sounds like fun, we’d love to hear from you!
How to Apply?
Please email [email hidden] with a copy of your resume.
Cubist is an equal opportunity employer.
Come as you are: we are committed to growing a diverse team and inclusive culture, and encourage those who identify with under-represented groups to apply.
Something looks off?