Finance and Administration Analyst
Finance and Administration Analyst
The Office of Finance and Administration for the Office of the President and Provost (OPP F&A) is the central finance office that oversees finance and administrative functions for all organizations under the umbrella of the Office of the President and Provost, a portfolio encompassing OPP departments, allied and affiliate organizations, and agencies, as well as central and school-based initiatives.
OPP F&A is dedicated to supporting the teaching and research mission of the University by providing outstanding financial services to our constituents through support, guidance, and consultation. OPP F&A works to ensure compliance with university and federal guidelines by mitigating risk and by promoting the financial health of the University.
Reporting to the Senior Finance Manager, the Finance and Administration Analyst will be the financial partner to designated client groups within the portfolio. They will perform multiple diverse and complex financial management duties and will be responsible for budgeting, financial reporting and analysis, financial planning, and financial administration and operations for a portfolio of OPP departments and initiatives, e.g. the Office of the Vice Provost for Research, Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs, Office of Faculty Development and Diversity, Office of Institutional Research, Office for Gender Equity, Harvard and the Legacy of Slavery Initiative, and/or other priorities of the President and Provost.
- Works closely with OPP departments and initiatives to analyze and evaluate financial results, and develop operating budgets and multi-year financial plans across multiple sources of funding including core funds, restricted funds, gifts, and endowments
- Serve as primary contact for departments for guidance on complex fiscal policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with University and OPP policies and procedures, relevant legal and tax implications, and restricted fund terms
- Support the annual budget submission to Central Administration and upload of budget data to HUBS
- Responsible for oversight of spending and monitoring budget to actuals across departments.
- Highlights key issues for Senior Finance Manager, department leadership, and senior leadership
- Manage centrally awarded grants for the Harvard and the Legacy of Slavery Initiative
- Review and approve corporate card, PCard, reimbursements, and B2P payments; identifies and seeks remedial action on spending or activities that are not in compliance with OPP/Harvard policy
- Manage quarterly close and year-end close processes for departments; identify, analyze, and resolve complex discrepancies
- Conduct analyses to respond to ad-hoc queries and strategic requests to support the policies and decision-making of the President, Provost, EVP, and other senior University leadership
- Process journals, run monthly financial reports, and disseminate timely updates on budget to actuals to department level administrative leads; serve as transactional backup during times of transition for departments who perform their own financial functions
- Works closely with Senior Finance Manager to enhance internal reporting and record-keeping processes and systems
- Represent OPP at University-wide committees including the Financial Managers Forum
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Extensive experience with Excel and Word required
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills required
- Demonstrated experience with financial systems and data query tools
- Advanced knowledge of budget management, financial analysis and financial modeling
- Must be well organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment
- Collaborative working style and the ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion
- Familiarity with Harvard systems, applications, and policies preferred. Previous Harvard experience is very helpful
- Work is performed in an office setting
Candidates moving forward in the process may be asked to complete a case study/skills assessment.
Harvard University supports a hybrid workplace model which will actively support some remote work. Specific days and schedules for on-site work and remote work will be discussed during the interview process. Please note hybrid workers must reside in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Harvard
F0957P Financial Analyst III
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Office of the President and Provost/ Finance and Administration
Office of the President and Provost
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Something looks off?