Lead Frontend Engineer
At Kamu we are developing a novel Web3 technology that, similarly to the invention of SQL database 40 years ago, will write a new chapter in humanity’s transition towards data economy.
This is your opportunity to join an ambitious early-stage startup that has already secured funding, and work on a technology that will shape the future of data science from a place of relative financial stability.
About us #︎
Kamu is building a unique decentralized network for the exchange and collaborative processing of structured data (whitepaper). Think of it as GitHub on top of a decentralized database, where people and organizations can share near real-time data streams, and data scientists can collaboratively compose them with SQL into high-quality data products ready for use by data-centric apps and for AI/ML. The network guarantees that all data is 100% auditable and verifiable and brings superior automation, accountability, and transparency to the data flows that underpin our society.
Kamu is backed by multiple investors and companies including Protocol Labs (the creators of IPFS and Filecoin) and Dell Technologies.
- A distributed, multinational company with a presence in Canada, Ukraine, and Portugal
- A highly technical group with decades of experience in big data, distributed software, and PhDs in AI/ML and computer science
- A team that takes pride in delivering quality products and efficient workflows
- Strong believers in Web3, decentralization, and personal data ownership
- Open Source enthusiasts who develop technology in the open, and constantly share progress with the community through publications and conferences.
About you #︎
An accomplished engineer like you can land any job, in any country, but you don’t want to be writing yet another social network or a marketplace - you want to apply your skills to something that can make a real difference in the world and have a high societal impact.
You care about who to work with: you gravitate towards ambitious, highly technical, and self-motivated teams with flat hierarchies, teams of avid learners that feed off each other and never stop advancing their skills.
You care about organizing your work: kanban, issue trackers, swimlanes, and pre-merge checklists… You know the value of workflows and how to use them to maximize your own and your team’s effectiveness and efficiency.
You are a true craftsman - you take pride in your work and want to make it visible, be in close contact with the user and the community, and contribute to open source as part of your job.
As a Lead Frontend Engineer in Kamu you will be reporting directly to the CTO and in charge of the development of Kamu Platform - a web application that combines:
- Organizational, social, and governance features of GitHub
- Data querying and exploration of enterprise data platforms
- Data manipulation and visualization of Jupyter Notebooks, and
- Audit/traceability features of blockchain explorers like Etherscan.
Frontend technology stack:
- Angular, RxJS, Bootstrap, Material
- Monaco editor, language server
- Docker, Kubernetes, AWS
Your work will include:
- Leading a team of 2-3 developers
- Building a shared vision of the platform with the founders
- Managing the frontend roadmap and task backlog
- Translating requirements into a sitemap and wireframes, detailing and delegating work to the team, and controlling the quality of execution
- Researching, prototyping, and integrating libraries for data visualization, dashboarding, and data science notebooks
- Controlling the test coverage, managing technical debt, performing timely updates and refactorings
- Overseeing the product documentation flow
- BSc in CS or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of industry experience
- Expert level in:
- HTML / CSS / Bootstrap / Material
- Frontend frameworks (Angular / React / Svelte)
- Modularization, dependency injection, and API design
- Software quality (test pyramid, linting, CI/CD)
- Development methodologies (Agile / Scrum)
- Bonus experience:
- Data visualization and GIS libraries/products (D3, Chart.js, Observable, Jupyter, etc.)
- Maintaining a large web project (SEO, internationalization, etc.)
- Open source collaboration
- Understanding of databases / SQL / big data / blockchains
- Good written English skills, ability to write clear documentation
What we offer #︎
- 🤙 Remote work with flexible hours
- 💵 Competitive salary, equity
- 💻 $1,500 home office equipment stipend
- 🏖️ 21 days of paid vacation per year
- ✈️ Conference travel and education budget
Application process #︎
- Technical screening [40m]
- Chat with one of the founders [40m]
- Online interview [90m]
Send your CV to email@example.com
All applications are reviewed by a human
🇺🇦✊ We stand with Ukraine and employ refugees and people on free and occupied territories. Ukrainian applicants can expect:
- Accelerated recruitment process
- Interview in their native language
- Home office equipment support
- Relocation support