At Kamu we are developing a novel Web3 technology that, similarly to the invention of SQL database 40 years ago, will write a new chapter in humanity’s transition towards data economy.
This is your opportunity to join an ambitious early-stage startup that has already secured funding, and work on a technology that will shape the future of data science from a place of relative financial stability.
About us #︎
Kamu is building a unique decentralized network for the exchange and collaborative processing of structured data (whitepaper). Think of it as GitHub on top of a decentralized database, where people and organizations can share near real-time data streams, and data scientists can collaboratively compose them with SQL into high-quality data products ready for use by data-centric apps and for AI/ML. The network guarantees that all data is 100% auditable and verifiable and brings superior automation, accountability, and transparency to the data flows that underpin our society.
Kamu is backed by multiple investors and companies including Protocol Labs (the creators of IPFS and Filecoin) and Dell Technologies.
- A distributed, multinational company with a presence in Canada, Ukraine, and Portugal
- A highly technical group with decades of experience in big data, distributed software, and PhDs in AI/ML and computer science
- A team that takes pride in delivering quality products and efficient workflows
- Strong believers in Web3, decentralization, and personal data ownership
- Open Source enthusiasts who develop technology in the open, and constantly share progress with the community through publications and conferences.
About you #︎
Your career has been on a steady rise and you are constantly looking for new opportunities to improve your skills and learn new technologies while ideally contributing to projects that can make a real difference in the world and have a high societal impact.
You put the team and the goal before ego and prefer to be a small fish in a big tank, as it gives you more opportunities to learn and better yourself.
You are self-motivated and autonomous - once goal is clear you can be relied upon to drive it to completion while seeking help when necessary.
You take pride in high-quality results and care about the experience of users of your product.
You aim to be full-stack and cover everything from writing performant algorithms, designing databases, and to deploying and operating highly distributed systems that service millions of users.
As a Backend Engineer in Kamu you will be contributing to the development of Kamu Platform and Kamu Compute Node that together provide:
- Organizational, social, and governance features of GitHub
- Data querying and exploration of enterprise data platforms, and
- Audit/traceability features of blockchain explorers like Etherscan.
Backend technology stack:
- Async (tokio), REST and GraphQL APIs (tower, axum, async-graphql)
- Docker / Podman, Kubernetes, AWS
- IPFS, Ethereum
Your work will include:
- Designing and implementing core data management/processing features
- Designing and implementing account management, social, payment, and other supplementary platform features
- Exposing features via REST and GraphQL APIs
- Communicating the APIs to the Frontend team and other consumers
- Maintaining deployment configuration for key platform components (Kubernetes, Helm)
- Ensuring reliable and secure data storage
- Contributing to the product documentation and automated testing
- BSc in CS or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Required skills:
- Advanced level in at least one statically-typed language (e.g. C, C++, Java)
- Asynchronous programming (futures, event loops)
- Software quality (test pyramid, linting, CI/CD)
- SQL or no-SQL databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Redis)
- Library API design
- REST API design
- Linux basics
- Containerization (Docker / Podman)
- Bonus skills:
- JSON Schema
- Event sourcing
- AWS, S3
- Horizontal scaling and fault-torelant systems
- Development methodologies (Agile / Scrum)
- Auth frameworks and information security
- Open source collaboration
- Interest in blockchains and decentralized data (e.g. IPFS)
- Good written English skills, ability to write clear documentation
What we offer #︎
- 🤙 Remote work with flexible hours
- 💵 Competitive salary, equity
- 💻 $1,500 home office equipment stipend
- 🏖️ 21 days of paid vacation per year
- ✈️ Conference travel and education budget
Application process #︎
- Technical screening [40m]
- Chat with one of the founders [40m]
- Online interview [90m]
Send your CV to email@example.com
All applications are reviewed by a human
🇺🇦✊ We stand with Ukraine and employ refugees and people on free and occupied territories. Ukrainian applicants can expect:
- Accelerated recruitment process
- Interview in their native language
- Home office equipment support
- Relocation support