Software Engineer, NetOps
What we're looking for
We are looking for an engineer that can contribute toward the design, implementation and optimization of cloud native and on-premise infrastructure toward supporting PL and its partners with access for Filecoin/FVM network.
You are an infrastructure-oriented software engineer who can contribute toward the design, implementation and maintenance of tools, while driving software improvements in the PL Web3 stack, supporting team and stakeholder objectives.
- Own multi-week sprints and quarter-long epics from conception to delivery
- Maintain proactive async communication with stakeholders to provide updates and progress reports
- Establish measurable service level objectives in collaboration with stakeholders
- Establish comprehensive observability over the performance of supported services
- Improve collaboration and remove friction within and around our team
- Write high-quality design proposals and technical documentation
- Offer bespoke infrastructure support where high-priority opportunities arise
- Adopt and apply deep domain knowledge (specifically in Protocol Lab’s Interplanetary Stack (libp2p, ipfs, filecoin, etc)) to understand and anticipate how it applies within and around your responsibilities
- Promote a positive, productive, and constructive engineering culture toward adopting best practices, experimentation and failing quickly toward success
- Support operations and monitoring of core Filecoin Network Infrastructure including Bootstrap Nodes, Disputers, Chain Snapshotting, api.chain.love, stats.filecoin.io and more
- Become familiar with Filecoin implementation (primarily Lotus) and contribute bug fixes and new features. Push on operational improvements in the software to make running it at scale easier and more approachable for decentralized operations and infrastructure teams.
- Mastery of fundamental software engineering practices: testing, debugging, automating, refactoring, and consideration to future maintenance
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- +5 years experience with the modern programming language
- +5 years experience working in an infrastructure/backend engineering position.
- +3 years experience working in distributed systems:
- bonus: Peer to peer networking and computing.
- bonus: Familiarity with ethereum smart contract
- Bonus Points (not required but things to look for):
- Proficiency with the Go programming language
- Disciplined application versioning
- Preference toward leaving code better than how it was found
- Thorough documentation to increase the next contributor’s quality including details such as: introduction to development lifecycle, expectations for user experience, usage examples, or maintaining practical test coverage
- Being accountable for operational support based on an on-call rotational model.
- Knowledgeable in the Storage domain at the kernel and application layers.
- Involvement with Filecoin Storage Providers or Crypto Mining.
- Experience working remotely in a distributed team.
- Experience with Open Source Software and working out in the open.
- Proficiency with the Go programming language
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
The base pay for this position currently ranges from $217,000 to $297,000, plus cryptocurrency, equity, and opportunities for upside through performance rewards in cryptocurrency and equity. The base pay is based on a number of factors and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, experience, skills, abilities, training, and education. We also have a great benefits package, including parental and other forms of leave, contributions to your retirement, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide competitive health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.
Something looks off?