Marketing & Communications for Biology Software
Marketing & Communications for Biology Software
Hi! We’re Radix. We’re building the next revolution of scientific tools so scientists can spend more time doing what they do best: science. Right now, scientists with PhDs and years of experience spend literal hours every day copying and pasting data in Excel and manually pipetting. We think this is a problem and we’d rather they got that time back so they could put more time into important scientific discoveries like curing cancer, alzheimers, and even rare genetic conditions. Radix brings to biology a framework and a set of tools much like the tools for CAD/CAM/CAE or VLSI Design.
The biggest roadblocks biologists face today aren’t scientific, they’re operational. They’re about the sheer scale and complexity of making labs work properly. Increasing combinatorial complexity, choppy data flows, awkward equipment integration and poor software compatibility are all holding scientists–and discovery–back. We’re solving these problems and doing it by making a compiler, operating system, and programming language for the computer architecture of the modern biology lab.
We’re a diverse and merry band of nerds, hackers, and cat affectionados. If you work for us, you won't be the only woman, non-binary or trans person, POC, Latino/a/x, non-US citizen, wearer of silly hats, or cat! A key commonality is that we love working with our smart, passionate teammates and customers and that we’re dedicated to improving biologists’ day to day, especially when it means solving hard problems in CS. We also like mechanical keyboards and interesting programming languages a lot. More than is remotely reasonable.
We’re making progress every day towards dramatically improving scientists day to day. Our products delight our clients who are able to do much more with the help of our software and are able to stop doing the boring mechanics that they hate. We strive to make practical, pragmatic steps towards useful solutions that’ll let our customers. Sounds like the sort of team you’d like to be a part of?
This position is about people and communication. Historically, Radix has been great at writing code and making an exceptional product for biologists, but we haven’t been nearly as good at communicating that externally. We’re rapidly changing that and want your help to do it! Your days will have a lot of variety. One day you might be working with our sales team to make slides or pamphlets. The next you might be helping a software engineer communicate the value of the code they just wrote. You’ll need to use interpersonal skills to make personal connection happen at scale to help us engage our customers and prospects and communicate how and why our tools can help them. While previous biology or pharma experience isn’t required, that’s Radix’s target market so you’ll need to be able to communicate with and to extremely competent PhD scientists. If you don’t have previous technical background, we’ll ask how you see yourself engaging with high tech tools and incredibly technical customers.
A note about our hiring process: we look at candidates holistically without regard to positions that are open. We ask two simple questions: “Will this person make Radix a stronger and more capable team?” and “Are we excited to work with them?” If the answer to both of those questions is yes, we make an offer. As a result, none of the skills are hard requirements and you won’t see desired years of experience in any of our job postings. We are happy to hire people who are new grads (and non-grads) through to industry veterans. If you think this work sounds exciting, please apply!
Key skills (pick any 2-3):
● You’re skilled at making the complex radically simple. You’re excited to gain subject matter expertise around biology, pharma, and Radix’s technical compiler software.
● You enjoy creating written communications–be it blog posts, pamphlets, articles, emails, or white papers that are effective for the target audience.
● Social media is your jam. You love coming up with and executing new ideas to drive and build engagement and audience. You can use and gather data to tailor posts and campaigns. We primarily use LinkedIn and Twitter right now.
● You’re able to identify what would create value for potential and current customers based on their needs and work. You’re able to efficiently communicate these value props.
● You like to get technical or be technically adjacent, especially with biology, software, or manufacturing.
● You have experience with paid and free advertising and marketing, have intuition for what approaches are best to start with to get specific results.
Nice to have (pick 1+):
● Experience with Canva, Figma, the Adobe suite or their free alternatives.
● Enjoy working with highly technical people.
● Enjoy and/or are passionate about science, especially biology and chemistry. Extreme bonus points if you read technical content or have previous lab or lab-adjacent experience.
● Experience generating earned media, writing press releases, and working with journalists.
● Able to read people and assess interpersonal dynamics and unspoken motivations.
Radix is a exciting work environment. We care about each other. We’re also LGBTQ+, polyamoroy, kink, gender, minority, and most other things supporting. We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.