Software Engineer, Rust
Science is an early stage company developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
Science is developing a software platform that will touch every part of the company, from collecting neural data to tracking devices through assembly to streamlining purchasing. We are looking for an experienced web engineer to help build out this platform, in close collaboration with a world-class team of scientists and engineers. You will work with the microfabrication, biology, animal behavior, surgery, and ops teams to build tools that they will use every day. Great communication skills are a must, and we're looking for technical and product judgment above all: can you ask the right questions to absorb other people’s mental models, then turn around and build things that make sense for the situation, quickly?
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, including significant experience with both Rust and graphics API’s
- Ability to act as your own product manager and track down the next project that will be most immediately useful for the least coding effort.
- A strong sense of when it's appropriate to address mounting technical debt, and when to keep building new features.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly ship with little oversight in a chaotic startup environment.
- Experience developing with WebAssembly and WebGPU
- Experience building an application with a complex data model
- Experience with app deployment / devops.
- A healthy distrust of the cloud.
For individuals hired to work in California, Science is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. We determine your level based on your interview performance and make an offer based on geo-located salary bands. The base salary range for this full-time position is $100,000- $180,000 annually + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please keep in mind that the equity portion of the offer is not included in these numbers.
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Something looks off?