Senior Firmware Engineer
Science is an early stage company developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are looking for world class firmware engineers with excellent track records of delivering robust embedded firmware. You would be responsible for helping to lay the firmware bedrock for control and communication with Science neural interface platforms (such as the Science Eye). As is the case for most technical roles at Science, the work is interdisciplinary, and you would be expected to learn a host of new concepts while working with biologists, machine learning, optics and microfabrication engineers.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Develop, test, maintain and support firmware through its entire lifecycle
- Build out firmware for neural interface implant and supporting wearable platforms
- Prototype (rapidly), test and analyze new systems and ideas to assess feasibility
- Experience in firmware development delivering reliable, readable, and maintainable firmware for embedded systems
- Passion for developing neural interfaces
- Experience with microsystem sensors and actuators
- Experience with machine learning
- BS in EE, CE, CS, etc.
- Experience with IEC 62304 compliant firmware for biomedical devices
- Rapid prototyping experience (microcontrollers, analog and digital interfaces, etc)
- Experience with Qualcomm SoCs
- RISC-V CPU architecture and firmware development experience
- Experience in a lab environment using oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, etc
- Experience with ASIC firmware development
- FPGA experience (HDL as well as firmware for soft/hardcores)
- MS or PhD in relevant field
- Experience with continuous integration testing
- Firmware hobby project experience
For individuals hired to work in California, Science is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. We determine your level based on your interview performance and make an offer based on geo-located salary bands. The base salary range for this full-time position is $120,000-$200,000 annually + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please keep in mind that the equity portion of the offer is not included in these numbers.
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.