IT Systems Engineer
Science is developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are seeking a skilled and experienced IT Systems Engineer to join our dynamic Science IT team. The Systems Engineer will play a critical role in designing, implementing, and maintaining our organization's IT systems and infrastructure. The ideal candidate should have a deep technical expertise, a strong problem-solving mindset, and a proven track record of successfully managing complex systems and projects.
- Design, deploy, and maintain the organization's IT systems and infrastructure, including servers, storage systems, networks, monitoring systems and virtualization platforms.
- Plan, configure and execute system upgrades, patches, and migrations to ensure optimal performance, security, and scalability
- Maintaining and administering robust monitoring and alert systems for critical onsite robotics, automation equipment, and lab instruments
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather requirements, assess technology needs, and design solutions that align with business objectives
- Evaluate new technologies and tools, making recommendations for adoption based on their potential to enhance efficiency, security, and reliability
- Monitor system performance, analyze trends, and proactively identify and resolve issues to ensure maximum uptime and minimal disruption to operations
- Develop and maintain disaster recovery and business continuity plans, ensuring systems and data are backed up and can be quickly restored in case of a failure
- Configure and manage networking components, including firewalls, routers, switches, and VPNs, to maximize performance and maintain a secure and efficient network environment.
- Implement security best practices, including access controls, encryption, vulnerability assessments, and penetration testing, to safeguard sensitive data and systems.
- Provide escalated technical support to the IT help desk team for complex technical issues and participate in problem resolution.
- Document system configurations, processes, and procedures for internal reference and compliance purposes.
- Administering and maintaining IAM solutions
- Systems Engineer may need to participate in on-call rotations to address critical issues outside of regular business hours
- Participate in project planning and management, collaborating with stakeholders to ensure successful project execution and timely delivery.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- +5 years of IT relevant experience in systems engineering, network engineering or infrastructure engineering roles, with a demonstrated track record of managing and optimizing IT infrastructure.
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux based environments
- Strong working experience with traditional HPC environments
- Working experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Working knowledge of tools like Git, GitHub and DockerHub
- Working knowledge with one or more programming tools: Bash or Python, Ruby or C
- General operational experience, including incident and problem management, configuration management, capacity management, vulnerability management, and troubleshooting IT infrastructure issues
- Familiarity with IoT devices and monitoring and management tools
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex technical issues.
- Expertise in server administration, virtualization technologies (VMware, Proxmox Hyper-V), and cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Proficiency in networking principles and fundamentals, such as TCP/IP, DNS, routing, switching, and network security protocols
- Strong understanding of networking hardware from design, maintaining and troubleshooting gateways, switches, and WANlan connected devices (Cisco Meraki hardware is preferred)
- Proficiency in scripting and automation using tools such as PowerShell, Rails, Python, or Bash
- Experience with Kubernetes and CEPH deployments
Experience in Identity and Access Management “IAM”
- Experience in implementing security measures and best practices to protect systems and data
- Proficiency with monitoring and management tools for system performance and availability
- Relevant certifications (Google workspace, Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect, Cisco CISSP/CCNA, CompTIA Server+) are advantageous.
For individuals hired to work in California, Science is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. We determine your level based on your interview performance and make an offer based on geo-located salary bands. The base salary range for this full-time position is $110,000 - $150,000 + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please keep in mind that the equity portion of the offer is not included in these numbers.
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.