Science is developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are looking for a hands-on Mechanical Engineer to support development of our devices and accessory tools. Work includes designing and fabricating devices, robotic systems, tools and fixtures for biology, optics and microfabrication teams.The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented self-starter who thinks outside the box, is comfortable with open-ended problems, and is able to pivot quickly. Work at Science is highly collaborative, cross functional, and encompasses the range from micro (we work in microns) to macro (some machines weigh hundreds of pounds).
Role & Responsibilities:
- Design and build micro component based implantable systems
- Design and build automated biological testing equipment and platforms
- Design and build custom surgical equipment and micro-fabrication tools
- Develop and execute test protocols
- Conduct root-cause investigation & recommend corrective actions for design issues
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 2 to 6 years of professional experience in a mechanical design role
- Understanding of fundamental mechanical principles
- Proficiency in CAD software (Solidworks preferred)
- Strong understanding of materials, manufacturing methods and design for manufacturing (DFM)
- Comfortable with basic machine shop and rapid prototyping tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate will have some subset of the following skills/experiences. We don’t expect you to have them all and encourage you to apply if you are eager to learn and passionate about building life-changing technologies.
- Experienced with early start-ups and/or the medical device industry; Class III device experience is a plus
- Familiarity with microfabrication techniques and tools
- Familiarity with fluidics and or microfluidics, including simulation
- Experience with robotics/mechatronics
- Familiarity with microcontrollers & basic board layout
- Mechanical simulation and calculation experience (i.e. FEA)
- Experience with design controls and risk management tools
For individuals hired to work in California, Science is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. We determine your level based on your interview performance and make an offer based on geo-located salary bands. The base salary range for this full-time position is $100,000-$160,000 annually + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please keep in mind that the equity portion of the offer is not included in these numbers.
At Science, our benefits are in place to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Flexible vacation and company-paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Science
- Flexible Spending Account
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.