Lead Frontend Engineer (Hybrid)
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2022
Building data and AI-driven apps is still way too hard, even for advanced developers. At Spice AI, we’re helping developers combine code with data and machine learning (ML) to create truly data and AI-driven applications. Spice AI is on a mission to make this as easy as creating a modern web page.
There is no ecosystem more data-rich than web3 and blockchains. Ironically, while most blockchains are public and open, extracting data to power apps and ML is painfully difficult. Spice is making terabyte (and eventually petabyte) blockchain datasets and ML models accessible to developers, data scientists, data engineers, and AI/ML engineers.
At Spice AI, we're building a platform for the next generation of data and AI-driven applications, starting with web3. The platform includes Spice.xyz (data and AI infrastructure for web3) and Spice.ai OSS (time-series AI for developers).
We are seeking a highly skilled Frontend Engineer to join our team at Spice AI. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in design, as well as experience with React, Typescript, TailwindCSS, NextJS, and Figma along with developer workflows in developer services like GitHub. The ideal candidate is just as comfortable in Figma and a debugger. Experience in designing developer tools and services is a must for this role.
As the Lead Frontend Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and building intuitive and visually stunning user experiences for our community data and AI platform, Spice.xyz, with a focus on developers and data engineers. You will work closely with our Product and Engineering teams to define and implement innovative design solutions, while also ensuring that the frontend codebase is clean, performant, maintainable, and scalable.
To be successful in this role, you should have a strong portfolio of design work and a proven track record of building high-quality frontend applications. You should also have excellent communication skills, problem-solving ability, and desire to work collaboratively in a team environment.
As a Frontend Engineer you will:
- Design and build intuitive and visually stunning user interfaces for our data and AI-driven applications, with a focus on developer tools and services.
- Work closely with our Product and Engineering teams to define and implement innovative design solutions, while also ensuring that the frontend codebase is clean, maintainable, and scalable.
- Collaborate with our team of experienced engineers to create the modern data and AI platform for blockchains, using technologies like React, Typescript, TailwindCSS, NextJS, and Figma.
- Contribute to the Spice.xyz technical roadmap and architecture to deliver lasting value to customers.
- Build high-performance and scalable systems to meet the evolving needs of our rapidly growing platform.
- Grow your career with a team of experienced professionals and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies in the field.
This role may be a great fit if:
- You are passionate about design and have a knack for building amazing user experiences, particularly for developer tools and services.
- You have the ability to take customer-obsessed scenarios and make it accessible and easy to use through technology.
- You are a creative problem-solver who approaches challenges from different angles, focusing on possibility rather than limitations.
- When faced with ambiguity, you are a guiding force and create clarity for the team.
- You have high standards for performance and are always striving for excellence in your work.
This experience would be ideal:
- 3+ years designing, implementing, and shipping production-level frontend applications.
- Strong experience with React, TypeScript, TailwindCSS, NextJS, and Figma.
- Experience designing developer/data/technical tools and services.
- A track record of good design, architectural, and engineering decisions.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Experience with other data tools and languages such as SQL, Python, Snowflake/Databricks, Kaggle, and HuggingFace is a bonus.
Your first 90 days
- During the first 30 days, you will focus on ramping up and getting familiar with our Spice.xyz Data & AI Platform. You will be expected to ramp up quickly, completing at least one bugfix in the first week and one minor feature in the first 2 weeks. In the later two weeks you will start design work on a major new initiative.
- In the second 30-day period, you will lead the design and frontend implementation of the upcoming community hubs feature of the platform, working closely with Product and Engineering team to ensure that it is seamlessly integrated into the platform.
- In the final 30 days, you will take design, technical and frontend development ownership of the community data hubs initiative. You will have the opportunity to showcase your design and frontend engineering skills, as well as your ability to lead and collaborate with others.
If you are passionate about design and frontend engineering, and are excited about the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology at Spice AI, we encourage you to apply for this role.
About Spice AI
Founded in June 2021 by Microsoft and GitHub alumni Luke Kim and Phillip LeBlanc, Spice AI creates technology to help developers build intelligent apps that learn and adapt.
Before co-founding Spice AI, Luke was the co-creator of Azure Incubations in the Office of the Azure CTO, where he led cross-functional engineering teams to create and develop technologies like Dapr and OAM.
Spice AI is backed by some of the top industry angel investors and leaders, including Nat Friedman, Chairman of GitHub, Mark Russinovich, CTO of Microsoft Azure, and Thomas Dohmke, CEO of GitHub.
Spice AI also has notable VC backing from Madrona Venture Group, Founders' Co-op, and Picus Capital.
- On TechCrunch and GeekWire
- About the team at spice.ai/team
- The Spice.xyz web3 data project announcement blog post
- The Spice.ai OSS project announcement blog post
See more open positions at Spice AI
Something looks off?