Posted on Saturday, April 8, 2023
In an environment of increasing regulatory scrutiny, Toku offers solutions to employ and compliantly compensate global teams in both fiat and tokens in over 100 teams globally. Toku’s growing list of customers includes Aragon, Astar, Filecoin Foundation, Gitcoin, Gnosis, Hedera Hashgraph, Protocol Labs, Teller, Safe, Storyverse, and others.
Toku’s comprehensive suite of services includes: Token-based payroll, token-based grant administration, employment and tax compliance – services tailored to the needs of every crypto-native organization.
There are clear laws and regulations around how people get employed and compensated that have been around for hundreds of years. These laws aren’t going away, and organizations need to follow them for the industry to grow. Our vision is to make it simple for organizations, from traditional companies to DAOs, to compensate their employees and contractors with tokens globally.
Toku recently raised $20 million from a consortium led by Blockchain Capital with Protocol Labs, GMJP, OrangeDAO, Orrick, Reverie, Quantstamp, Next Web Capital and prominent angel investors including Protocol Labs founder Juan Benet and Alchemy co-founders Nikil Viswanathan and Joe Lau. Read more about Toku in Fortune, Yahoo Finance, and CoinDesk.
To learn more check our website.
About the role
We are looking for an Associate GC. In this role, you will be initially reporting to the CEO and working closely with the co-founders.
This is a highly cross-functional and dynamic role: from working with functional leaders to ensure they are acutely aware of our top customers’ priorities and needs to align with our sales team and directing the best customer experience. You will also be working with our product and engineering teams in order to ensure our product and platform is compliant with all relevant regulations.
The ideal candidate will have a hands-on, hustler mentality with a successful track record of working on a broad variety of legal and regulatory matters and a background in technology groups at big law firms.
- Manage, mentor and uplevel the existing legal team
- Scope, build, and manage relationships with external counsels and other advisors that will work with the in-house legal team on complex, jurisdiction-specific matters;
- Ensure corporate and product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations in close collaboration with cross-functional teams and external advisors;
- Advise on the strategic business decisions as we plan and execute an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan across new product offerings, country-specific launches, and changing regulatory controls
- Provide practical guidance to Business Development, Operations, Product, and Engineering teams on day-to-day issues
- Build and maintain scalable legal, compliance, and risk management frameworks and processes
- Develop, execute, and continually evaluate legal strategy in litigation and/or regulatory matters;
- Support business development initiatives and draft/negotiate contracts
- Speak regularly in public as the voice for Toku
- Build and maintain an extensive network in the ecosystem to inform Toku legal strategy
- Collaborate closely with senior leadership
- 5+ years of technology group or emerging company group experience at an AM 100 law firm
- 2+ years managing associates or, if in house, multiple direct reports
- Currently licensed in a U.S. state
- Experience working with startups
- Demonstrated track record of working with cross-functional stakeholders
- A business-oriented mindset that finds creative and technical solutions to problems in grey areas
- A strong interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Ability to expertly advise and provide big-picture thought leadership to internal teams on the strategy, development, integration, and expansion of existing and new products and services.
- Clear communication, both written and verbally
- Proven high level of maturity, executive presence, and judgment in complex high-profile situations
Benefits and Compensation
- Remote anywhere in the world;
- Remote-first work culture;
- Flexible working hours;
- Competitive salary and equity;
- Apple laptop.
Toku is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, LGBTQ+, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
See more open positions at Toku
Something looks off?