PEO / Employment Counsel
Posted on Saturday, April 8, 2023
In an environment of increasing regulatory scrutiny, Toku offers solutions to employ and compliantly compensate global teams in both fiat and tokens in over 100 teams globally. Toku’s growing list of customers includes Aragon, Astar, Filecoin Foundation, Gitcoin, Gnosis, Hedera Hashgraph, Protocol Labs, Teller, Safe, Storyverse, and others.
Toku’s comprehensive suite of services includes: Token-based payroll, token-based grant administration, employment and tax compliance – services tailored to the needs of every crypto-native organization.
There are clear laws and regulations around how people get employed and compensated that have been around for hundreds of years. These laws aren’t going away, and organizations need to follow them for the industry to grow. Our vision is to make it simple for organizations, from traditional companies to DAOs, to compensate their employees and contractors with tokens globally.
Toku recently raised $20 million from a consortium led by Blockchain Capital with Protocol Labs, GMJP, OrangeDAO, Orrick, Reverie, Quantstamp, Next Web Capital and prominent angel investors including Protocol Labs founder Juan Benet and Alchemy co-founders Nikil Viswanathan and Joe Lau. Read more about Toku in Fortune, Yahoo Finance, and CoinDesk.
To learn more check our website.
About this Role
Toku is looking for a PEO / Employment Counsel, initially reporting to the CEO and, eventually, to the Head of Legal/General Counsel.
The Employment / PEO Counsel will focus on working closely with our sales and customer success teams to provide daily advice on PEO / EOR and employment laws.
This will be a global scope, and we understand that it’s a large surface area. We don’t expect you to be an expert in every country’s labor laws, but we do expect you to be proactive, autonomous, resilient, adaptable, and eager to continually learn and develop professionally.
What you will be working on
- Work with in-country legal counsel to ensure that we are on top of regulations and able to answer client questions in a timely manner.
- Draft and review commercial agreements, employment agreements, employee handbooks, and any other documents in order to be compliant with local employment laws.
- Provide counsel to sales and customer success teams on a broad range of employment issues including: recruiting; hiring; employee relations; discipline and terminations; working time compliance (including shift working, overtime), internal investigations; leaves of absence; discrimination, and harassment issues; contingent worker issues; compensation, benefits, bonus, and equity awards; employment litigation; negotiated exits and settlements.
- Contribute to developing and implementing the PEO structure in the US.
- Negotiate our commercial agreements with clients, vendors, and suppliers.
- Develop and maintain training materials, playbooks, and guidelines.
- Respond and communicate quickly with customers
- Work with support and communicate with customers both pre and post-sales
- Provide customer feedback to the product and engineering teams and inform product development
- 5+ years’ experience in big law working in Employment, Compensation, or any labor law-related groups
- If in-house experience, a strong background in a PEO company, and any related law matter.
- You will be able to meet tight deadlines.
- Great written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- We’d especially love to speak with you if:
- Experience working with startups
- You are comfortable with lots of white space and are energized by it
- You’ve worked at a fast-growing startup
- You have previously successfully worked in a remote & distributed team
Benefits and Compensation
- Remote anywhere in the world;
- Remote-first work culture;
- Flexible working hours;
- Competitive salary;
- Apple laptop
Toku is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, LGBTQ+, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
See more open positions at Toku
Something looks off?