Deputy Chief of Staff
Tools for Humanity (Worldcoin LA)
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
About the Team:
The Office of the CEO (OCEO) supports Alex Blania (CEO) and senior leadership to drive mission critical, cross-functional efforts. For example, the team designs scalable organizational structures, drives process improvements, delivers data-driven insights, manages high-impact projects, and executes on strategic initiatives.
We are looking for exceptional individuals who are capable of taking on a significant level of responsibility within a fast-growing company and field.
About the Opportunity:
Working with both the Chief of Staff and CEO, along with the rest of the leadership team, the Deputy CoS plays a strategic and operational role that will help drive the decision making process across our business and help us scale through our next stage of growth.
The role primarily includes analysis and research to help drive prioritization of initiatives, lead strategic plans and work with the CEO and CoS to define objectives across the organization. The role is both internal and external facing, with the frequent opportunity to interface with investors and partners.
You will be an extension of the executive team, specializing in planning and execution. You’ll have an up-to-the-minute pulse on each function of the business, able to recall specific details at a moment's notice in order to keep the team aligned on our quarterly objectives and key results:
- Act as a force multiplier, helping the CEO execute the Company’s priorities on a given day or week while working on medium term special projects and initiatives
- Manage multiple projects at once that are cross-functional or are entirely novel and drive those projects to completion without fail
- Build decks in Google Slides or PowerPoint on a large scope of topics such as board decks, investment decks, and executive presentations along with other high-value collateral
- Draft communications on complex topics for many different audiences both internal and external while executing on those underlying initiatives (e.g., running a fundraise process)
- Support the CEO in communicating overall business strategy and goals to each function, while helping set these goals at the beginning of every quarter
- Collaborate with the CEO and leadership team on strategic priorities e.g. budgets, Company OKR creation and alignment, and additional one-off strategic/operational projects
- Identify and resolve issues on behalf of the executive team, maintaining a pulse on each business unit and ensuring teams are constantly aligned on priorities
This role reports to the Chief of Staff. Alex is currently being coached by Matt Mochary (Coach to CEO’s Reddit, Coinbase, Robinhood etc). Please read Matt’s description of the ‘Exec Ops’ role, as this is significantly aligned with expectations for the position and how the team will work together.
A successful candidate will be considered for promotion to Chief of Staff after 9-12 months. Members of the OCEO are expected to grow into positions where they lead high-priority company functions after 18-36 months in their original role.
- You are a critical thinker, who invests the time to understand the full complexity of a problem and adopt a structured approach in how you tackle it
- You have experience in a highly cross functional role and can clearly describe and work within the organizational dynamics of a fast-growth company
- You enjoy working on multiple projects at once and are comfortable being put in new situations doing work that ranges from in the weeds to high level strategy
- You bring a broad mix of generalist ‘hard’ skills (e.g., financial modeling & analysis, story boarding & presentation building) and soft skills (e.g., EQ, first principles thinking, composure) to all interactions
- You love being challenged and learning beyond your job title
- You are a clear and articulate communicator and able to process and distill information; your oral and written communication is concise and structured
- You have outstanding academic credentials and a strong record of leadership and professional accomplishment
- You have a demonstrated interest in blockchain technology, Web3, cryptocurrency and digital assets
- You have experience across high-growth startups, quantitative analysis, investment banking, financial services, consulting, or other quant/data-driven related fields
Additional Relevant Details
- Remote Policy: As the Deputy Chief of Staff, you will be expected to work out of our San Francisco office, Monday through Friday.
- Travel: This role also involves frequent travel alongside our CEO. This travel is a crucial aspect of the role. In your capacity as Deputy CoS, you'll have a significant influence on the CEO's priorities and schedule, allowing for flexibility and advanced planning when travel is required. While travel can be demanding, it's an integral part of this role, offering unique opportunities to connect globally and contribute to our mission. This year alone, the team traveled to various international locations, including Germany, Kenya, Korea, and Singapore.
- Compensation: The total compensation (all-in cash and equity) for this role is top-of-market, ranging from $250,000 to $300,000.
- Employee Benefits: TFH provides an extensive and inclusive benefits package for this role, including healthcare, dental, vision, a 401(k) plan with matching, life insurance, flexible time off, commuter benefits, a professional development stipend, and more.