Senior Data Engineer, Graph Analytics
Tools for Humanity (Worldcoin LA)
About the Company:
Worldcoin (www.worldcoin.org) is an open-source protocol, supported by a global community of developers, individuals, economists and technologists committed to expanding participation in, and access to, the global economy. Its community is united around core beliefs in the inherent worth and equality of every individual, the right to personal privacy, and open and public collaboration. These beliefs are reflected in what the community is building: a public utility to connect everyone to the global economy.
The Worldcoin Foundation (www.worldcoin.foundation) is the protocol’s steward and will support and grow the Worldcoin community until it becomes self-sufficient. Tools for Humanity (www.toolsforhumanity.com) is a global hardware and software development company. It helped launch Worldcoin and continues to provide support to the Foundation, in addition to operating the World App.
About the Team:
The Data team is responsible for deriving data-driven insights to support TFH’s key decisions. Because of our unique growth model of using a global network of Orb Operators to give a free share of Worldcoin to everyone on Earth, we require a high-performing Data team that is able to manage and analyze large amounts of data generated by the Orb, by the Worldcoin app, and by blockchain activity. In particular, the Data team’s responsibilities include data and analytics engineering, graph analysis, business intelligence, and statistical analysis.
About the Opportunity:
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for developing the data architecture and pipelines that support our data-driven initiatives. As our first data engineer with a focus on graph analytics, you will also be responsible for developing and maintaining the data pipelines that enable graph analysis on blockchain transaction data.This graph database will be a foundational data structure that will power analytical questions of interest to our data scientists, fraud specialists and economists (e.g, understanding patterns of transfers on the blockchain or detecting fraud networks). Consequently, you will work closely with these stakeholders to understand their requirements and build the right technical solutions. You will be part of a team that is a service provider to and collaborates closely with many other teams (in particular Fraud and Risk Analytics, Product, Blockchain, and the wider Engineering team).
In this role, you will:
- Implement and fine-tune graph solutions to architect, build, and continuously evolve systems that support data science initiatives
- Integrate blockchain data into the graph whilst upholding data quality and consistency; enrich this data with data from other structured and unstructured data sources
- Develop and maintain the data models and schemas to accurately represent complex concepts and relationships
- Transform and pre-process data to fit into the graph structure, including data cleaning, enrichment, and normalization
- Develop graph query services to extract insights from the graph
- Build, maintain, and optimize scalable and efficient data pipelines to enable data ingestion, processing, and transformation from various internal and external sources
- Continuously monitor and optimize the data architecture for performance and scalability
- Collaborate with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to understand their data needs and develop solutions to address them
- Degree in a quantitative field like computer science, engineering or physics
- 5+ years of hands-on work experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to understand complex data systems and develop innovative solutions
- Experience with graph database systems (Neo4j, Amazon Neptune, Virtuoso) and related graph query languages (Cypher, SPARQL)
- Excellent programming skills in SQL
- Experience with Spark
- Significant programming experience in at least one high-level programming language (e.g., Python, Java)
- Familiarity with graph algorithms
- Familiarity with streaming architectures
- Experience with AWS a plus
- Experience with blockchain data a plus
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and experienced working in cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of engineering systems in a fast-paced and continuously evolving environment; startup experience a plus
Berlin or San Francisco. Anyone hired elsewhere will be expected to relocate to one of these two locations.